Hello everyone! Long time no post. If you follow me on Instagram, you probably know that I finally got my hands on a Furminator brush after many failed purchases and attempts to rid me of my cat’s shedding problem. This post goes to everyone who’s thinking of getting one but is too hesitant to spend such a big amount of money on a hair brush for their pets! Before I start reviewing it, I’d just like to point out that I will be in no way biased and “over-recommend” this product just for the heck of it. I’ll tell you exactly how it worked for me, and provide pros and cons, and you be the judge :)
So being a person who’s 102% conscious about where she spends her money and on what, the idea of purchasing an almost 300 AED shedding comb for Tiny was completely out of the question. But after about a year and a half switching between different types of combs- the slicker brush, deshedding comb and a flea comb- that were almost useless, I decided to give it a go, but that I’d find myself a bargain ;)
After looking through amazon, I found an awesome deal of only 110 AED (including shipping fees from the US to Abu Dhabi) for a long-hair small sized Furminator comb for cats. (It couldn’t deliver straight to the UAE, so I had to use a US address and then had Aramex deliver it to Abu Dhabi. The cost above includes all of these expenses, so it would’ve been around 70 AED only if it wasn’t for the extra shipping :’) Much better than 300 AED!!)
I chose the long hair option because Tiny is a cross between a shorthair and a Persian according to his vet, and his hair is a about 2-inches long, and a small comb to make it easier for me to get into sensitive areas like his face or paws, as I’ve had one of the big slicker brushes and found it hard to brush these areas because of it’s size.
Now on to the brush itself, I can honestly say I was pretty impressed and wasn’t disappointed at all. A couple of brushes with a Furminator do go a long way!
1) It’s teeth were designed differently that any slicker brush (which I thought otherwise previously..) and it kinda works like a rake, I’m not kidding lol. You can actually feel the brush pull the dead hairs out!
2) The teeth really dig in the coat, to catch a lot of the dead hairs not just from the top of the coat, but from inside. My slicker brush had long teeth, but it just wouldn’t dig in the coat properly, so it only caught the dead hair from the top, and left me with a horrible inner coat of dead hair madness!
3) This one is pretty obvious if you know a little about Furminators. It is easy to get the dead hair out of the brush from the handy button :P I used to wash my slicker brush to get most of the hair out because it was hard to pull it out by hand (and sometimes, it would bend the teeth, yikes!) so this was a much appreciated feature xD
1) Of course, with every item, it has it’s cons, because it isn’t perfect. What I found a little bothersome with the brush is that when I managed to go through his whole coat, it would leave a lot of stray hairs at the top, something that I haven’t experienced with the slicker brush (Probably because it didn’t do such a good job lol) I guess it’s more of an expected effect than an actual problem with the brush. When he’d shake his head or when I’d pat his coat, it would drop a lot of dead hairs that weren’t caught by the brush. Does that make sense? :P However, I guess a good bath is the solution to this problem.
2) You must be careful when brushing your pet as the teeth are quite stiff and pointy, and I’ve had a lot of panicky moments where I was afraid I had cut him. So make sure you’re a little careful :) It’s not in any way like a shaving tool, but just a little consciousness while brushing is required.
In the end, I give this product a 7/10 because it wasn’t a marketing lie, it really does work like they said it would. Here’s a picture of all the hairs I’ve gathered just for this post:
Placed my hand beside it so you can see the approximate size lol.
I would have been able to get rid of 100% of Tiny’s dead hair if he was a lot more cooperative, since he hates his grooming sessions :’) I constantly have to entice him with treats to get him brushed. I am working on training him to get used to it though, so wish me luck!
Thanks for reading folks, and as always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me :)
Have a nice long weekend and happy National Day! <3
- Reem AlHashmi